Saturday, June 29, 2013

Best of my Best of

A) Best of
1: The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
2: Wonder
3: Tell the Wolves I'm Home
4: Divergent
5: Paper Towns
6: My Friend Dahmer

* Rankings based on engagement, relatability to students and overall awesomeness.

B) Best unraveling of a plot:
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
It's not what you expect. The inevitable twists and turns aren't entirely predictable.

D) Most likely to be adapted into an award winning-screenplay
Divergent (2014); already going to be a movie
Wonder: would make an incredible film

E) Most likely to be banned:
My Friend Dahmer
Just because of Dahmer's infamy, not the actual content of the book

F) Best use of purposeful, meaningful dialogue:
Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
This is a toss-up, but this story gets at a lot of the difficulties of the teenage experience and identity in a candid way.

G) Most vivid description of setting(s)
Tell the Wolves I'm Home
The scenes of June Elbus in the woods are extremely powerful, as well as her wanderings around New York. The book masterfully uses setting to set the story's mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment